Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 Glenn Beck's Favorite Christmas Things | Glenn Beck

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This is a rush transcript from "Glenn Beck," December 14, 2010. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

GLENN BECK, HOST: Yes, hello, America.

You know it's a good show when we start with heavy cream. I hate these. I hate these things. Every year, it's the same thing.

I want to talk to you a little bit about Christmas tonight. Welcome to the program.

Every year -- it's the same thing with me every year, I usually end up with a knife. At Christmas, doing exactly that, you have to open up both ends of these Whoa, that would be a little hot. Oh, it's going to be yummy.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: Oh, now, we take a little cream.

All right. So, here's the deal. I want to talk to you about -- I want to talk to you about families and I want to talk to you about Christmas.

Christmas isn't about Black Friday or Cyber Monday. That's new. In fact, Christmas wasn't officially celebrated in this country until, I think, 1873-ish. I know somewhere, there's a blogger in his basement with his mom, "Mom, I'm busy right now," and he's in his underpants going, "It's not 1873." Whatever.

It was in the 1870s that we started really focusing on Christmas. And when the country first started, it was -- an amazing gift would have been a book.

This book actually has an inscription in it from 1878. Wouldn't it be weird if it was 1873? No, 1880. A Christmas book -- a book that somebody could read year round, "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

And American reformer Frederick Douglass -- look at this old book, "The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass."

This. "The History and the Life and Death, Virtues and Exploits of General George Washington."

"Abraham Lincoln: A Man of God." If you would have gotten this for Christmas, it would have been -- you would have been rich. You would have been rich.

Christmas at the beginning of our country, the founders thought it was garish to even celebrate it. Congress was in session on December 25th in the 1700s. It was -- it was garish to celebrate because it was too sacred of a holiday. Now, we just camp out at Wal-Mart or we go to the Apple store for the latest gadget.

Christmas used to be a celebration of the family. It was the time of the year for families to get together and make memories. My favorite memory of Christmas, I think, with my family was the year that my grandparents came up to our house. We used to go down to their house. They came up to our house and we played Monopoly.

And does anybody remember how Monopoly like never ended? It was just like, can this damn game end please? It was obviously designed for a different time when there wasn't television and people had all night to play. And I remember because I helped my grandfather be the banker. And, oh, let's say grandpa had a touch of Bernie Madoff in him.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: And I remember going, no, grandpa, he was like (INAUDIBLE).

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: But I remember the time with my family. And Christmas -- no matter how many times I remember as a kid, I don't know if anybody else remembers this, but I remember as a kid, sitting and listening to my parents and my grandparents talk and they would tell the same stories every year. And everybody would sit and laugh and we would sit there in the dining room after meal was over and we all sat there, and we'd listen to the same stories. And that's how we learned who we were.

And now, everybody plugs into their games or whatever else. And our children aren't hearing the stories anymore.

We have to tell the stories. And we have to -- we have to find the things of value, you know?

Christmas used to be about gifts that were truly from the heart because people had time to actually make them. And they were also -- presents were also things that people really needed, not just nice to have. They were simple. Most importantly, it was the thought and the effort that went into the gift itself.

This is a gift from my daughter and I will tell you about it a little later on in the program. And it is a great gift. It won't cost you anything but the price of the CD.

Every Christmas, one of our traditions is to make -- Erin, you're not getting into my hot chocolate, are you?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It was going to burn.

BECK: I'm not drinking it. It's TV hot chocolate, it's already -- it's already made in the other room.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: This could be pig slop. We're not drinking it. It's television, Erin.

All right. Every -- now, she wrecked a beautiful tender story. Put yourself back into a time you thought it was going to be beautiful and tender.

The family tradition in my family as you can imagine is eating. And I make a hot chocolate and I made it one year and I think the first year, the family went into a coma. And then every year since that, my tradition in my family, because my kids insist on it, is to make dad's hot chocolate and the recipe is quite easy.

It is -- first, here, we start with heavy cream and that's a problem because if you go outside and you make it with just heavy cream and Hershey's chocolate, if you get cold too fast, you could actually congeal. So, it's bad.

But you -- we just put -- we just put the chocolate bars in them and now, we use light cream or light cream and a little bit of milk -- whole milk, none of the wussy two percent. If you'd like, you could probably stick a whole stick of butter in there, too.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: You probably -- I haven't tried it yet. But it'd be better could be yummy.

We don't lose a lot of weight around the holidays at my house.

So, anyway -- so make this and now, it is a tradition and we usually do it on Christmas Eve and then Christmas night and -- well, the entire week. But we make it and we sit around and we watch a Christmas movie, and, in fact, we did have a chef actually make all of this for us. Do we have it?

We'll pass out some so you guys can have it. I warn you, you may go into a coma. But it will be a happy Christmas coma.

We've been talking about the story on this program, the story of the Tower of Babel and the Jewish word of the mortar in that Tower of Babel was materialism. And that's what held the people together, but it's also what allowed them to be destroyed, and does anybody else find that amazing, that that is -- I mean, that's exactly what's happening to us. Our materialism is holding us together and our materialism is destroying us.

Christmas isn't about the stuff. And if we allow it to be, it will destroy us.

Tonight, I want to talk to you about the meaning of Christmas, but I mean, I also want to talk about some of my favorite things. They are not expensive. Some have no monetary value at all.

But what makes Christmas the most memorable time of the year is being with our family and it's about giving and not receiving. But, today, it is really about receiving, too, because -- how do I do it just like Oprah does -- you are on my favorite things episode!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

BECK: No, no, no, I apologize. Oprah, we can outdo you. You are supposed to cry and stuff. You're on our favorite things episode.

Wow, this audience sucks.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: Everybody is -- everybody is going home with some of the stuff that I'm going to highlight today and, yes, there's a lot of food in here, too, Whoopers. But I want to highlight some -- just put them all up here because everybody is going to go home with a bag and there's some really cool stuff in it that is not necessarily expensive and things that I think you will enjoy, things that I like and also, things that I think can change the holiday tradition.

Little things like, well, survival bags. Who doesn't need -- it's nice and red. It's a Christmas survival bag. Ho, ho, ho, everybody, we're all going to die. Uh-oh. I just said it.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: But you have -- I know I am going to get -- thank you. Actually, I thought you guys would be more excited about -- there's new car in each one of those.

(CHEERS)

BECK: It's about that big, but there's a new car.

My wife and I, we decided to get -- we decided that we've been blessed and we decided to get our family food storage this year because we could afford it, and we know because every single one of our relatives said, well, we know things go to hell, we know where we're going. I'm like, where are you going because you're not coming to my house.

But, I would, it makes for a really -- I know that, you know, anybody in the family is going to open it up and they're going to go -- oh, food storage. Great.

But it is probably the best gift that you can give anybody this year. You know, if you are a grandparent, you give your kids and grandkids food storage. Give them things that, with inflation coming, things that they're going to need and they don't have -- the family wouldn't have to worry about it or just a backpack of survival stuff and you're going to be the geek in the family.

But there's nothing like -- if you're going to be the geek in the family, there's nothing like this. I love these because it spooks everyone. There's nothing better. These are urban survival playing cards.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: These -- you want to freak your family out? I mean, do you thing they think you're nuts now? You're playing cards, on each card is a different scenario, OK? And it says, for instance, let's see here, there are some really, really, spooky ones -- let's see, feeding your infants and young children. Here, I like this one, emergency bullet proof barriers, 12 to 18 inches of dry sand, dirt and gravel will stop small arms fire from .22. This is great.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: And so, your -- you suggest to everybody, we play -- let's play some cards. It's the Christmas holiday.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: And they start reading and they go, oh, dear God, but you'll actually learn some handy things. Urban survival playing cards and it, of course, comes up with bartering and negotiating in post-disaster survival situations. And the accompanying book that doesn't -- surprisingly, doesn't have a single card game in it. Which I would think if you're down in the fallout shelter, you might want a couple of different card games to play seeing that you have the cards.

I want to -- I want to spend a second on -- I want to spend a second on books. This is, I just went to, I took the kids to see the new "Narnia." Has anybody seen it yet?

AUDIENCE: Yes.

BECK: It's fantastic, isn't it? Yes, better than the first? Yes, I think so. I mean, it was on par with the first if not better than the first, I think. I thought it was really, really good.

My kids are 21, 19 and 6 and 4. And that's fun. The "Narnia" -- we started reading this. I read this with my older kids when they were young and I started a little younger with my son Raphe, and we were reading the first one, "The Magician's Nephew," and it is fantastic. And it is -- it really is just about the creation of the Earth and it's Adam and Eve and everything else, you know, completely disguised so dopes like me and Liam Neeson can't figure it out at all.

Liam Neeson, did you see what he said about Aslan? Aslan is the lion in "Narnia." This is C.S. Lewis. He's a great, great Christian author, and it's -- Aslan is Jesus. And the whole thing is about Jesus. It's all in an analogy of Christ.

And Liam Neeson came out last week and he said, oh, I think he could be Buddha or Muhammad. And he's like, wait a minute, he saved somebody from their sins, the lion dies and then rises again. In one point in this latest "Narnia," he -- Aslan says there's another name for me in your world, and it's a talking lion saying this to the kids.

And my son looked at me and he's six, and he started watching the movie again, we had dinner and he said, "Dad, what's Aslan name in Lucy's world?" And I said, well, what do you think? He died for somebody else's son and then he rose again, and he went, "Jesus?" I said, well, no, if you are Liam Neeson, Buddha.

(LAUGHTER)

BECK: But it's a tremendous, tremendous series, and there is nothing-- I didn't -- when I was growing up, I didn't read a lot. Oh, boy, here's the guy in the underpants in the basement again, surprise, Glenn Beck didn't read as a kid. We were working. We worked in my father's bakery.

That's why I know about heavy cream. And we didn't read a lot.

And the first book I read -- really read for any enjoyment was "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." And I read it when I was 18. And I loved it. And I thought it was like the only book that would be any good, and I think I read that book three times. Loved it, and started to read novels and Stephen King and everything else.

And when you give somebody a book, you don't give them a pound of paper and ink and glue -- you give them a whole new life, a whole new adventure and it's fantastic. My kids, I started reading to them when they were very, very young, and, they have a real appreciation for reading and there's nothing, nothing, nothing like that. The "Narnia" series which everyone will get is a fantastic book.

(APPLAUSE)

BECK: Hang on, you did not applaud for the playing cards. You didn't applaud for the playing cards. I'm wondering.

And, by the way, if you have not seen it, you also get in to see "Narnia." We're sending you out to see the movie "Narnia," which is fantastic.

(APPLAUSE)

BECK: While we're here on books -- while we're here on books, let me just give you a few books. First of all, I haven't finished this yet. This is Brad Thor. I'm about, I don't know, 20 pages from the end. This is spooky. This is -- I think this is his best thriller yet.

Same can be said for "American Assassin" by Vince Flynn. Fantastic. Have you read this? It's unbelievable, isn't it? Great book.

These are the traditional, if you don't have these three books, please, get them, "The 5,000 Year Leap," "The Real George Washington," this comes with the real George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin. But Washington is an absolute must.

And "Winners Never Cheat" by my good friend, Jon Huntsman. This -- has anyone read this book yet? This book is -- this will make you believe in the free market system again. This will show you this is what we're lacking in life. We are lacking real examples. That's what George Washington was about.

That's why the progressive movement had to destroy our founders, because we believed in them. We believe in them. We believe that it could be done. We believe that men could be decent. And we've destroyed all of our heroes -- destroyed them all.

And, so, well, nobody has ever really been that way. It's not really like that. Oh, it's Hollywood. I happen to believe in Bedford Falls. I happen to believe in "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." I believe in those people. I believe they exist. They not only existed then and they exist today.

I don't think Norman Rockwell was that great of a painter, he had to see -- maybe it was the best in people. But he did see it.

This is today -- a man who has lived his life ethically and has done it. And it's important to share it with each other.

Content and Programming Copyright 2010 Fox News Network, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Copyright 2010 CQ-Roll Call, Inc. All materials herein are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of CQ-Roll Call. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.

 

 
Carl Ray Louk

"FRIENDSHIP NEVER ENDS" SG-1996
"LET LOVE LEAD THE WAY" SG-2000
"THE PHOENIX SHALL RISE" SD
"EVEN A MAN WHO IS PURE IN HEART AND SAYS HIS PRAYERS BY NIGHT, MAY BECOME A WOLF WHEN THE WOLFBANE BLOOMS AND THE AUTUMN MOON IS BRIGHT." LT-1941
"FLESH OF MY FLESH; BLOOD OF MY BLOOD; KIN OF MY KIN WHEN SAY COME TO YOU, YOU SHALL CROSS LAND OR SEA TO DO MY BIDDING!" CVTD-1895
"FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE, FOR HATE SAKE I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT THEE" CA-1895 
"I HAVE BEEN, AND ALWAYS SHALL BE YOUR FRIEND" Spock 
"TRICK OR TREAT, TRICK OR TREAT CANDY IS DANDY BUT MURDER, OH MURDER, IS SO SWEET" CRL-2003 
"EYE OF NEWT, AND TOE OF FROG, WOOL OF BAT, AND TONGUE OF DOG ADDER'S FORK, BLIND-WORM'S STING, LIZARD'S LEG, AND OWLET'S WING. FOR A CHARM OF POWERFUL TROUBLE, LIKE A HELL-BROTH BOIL AND BABBLE. DOUBLE, DOUBLE, TOIL AND TROUBLE, FIRE BURN, AND CALDRON BUBBLE" WS

MySpace.com: www.myspace.com/carlraylouk
http://www.myspace.com/carlraylouk

Yahoo Group: Yahoo! Groups : LouksHauntedGraveyardhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/LouksHauntedGraveyard/

Yahoo Group: Yahoo! Groups : TheWorldAccordingtoCarlRayLouk http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWorldAccordingtoCarlRayLouk/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home